Halloween Sleepers – ‘Slither’

Halloween Sleepers – ‘Slither’

I confess. I’ve got a soft spot for horror comedies.

So here’s my tribute to “Slither,” the best intentionally goofy horror film since “Tremors.” And very few folks paid to see it during its 2006 release.

“Slither” falls squarely in the “an asteroid fell to earth and carried with it something really nasty” genre.

The space rock infects a small-town jerk (Michael Rooker), turning him into a gross and gloppy creature who spits out baby versions of himself at an alarming rate. Soon, the entire town is overrun with slithering beasties, and it’s up to the noble sherriff (Nathan Fillion, perfection here) to save the day.

Silly, goofy and gory in all the right doses, “Slither” deserved a better box office fate. It’s even got the beguiling Elizabeth Banks! And yes, I may use the word “beguiling” before Miss Banks’ name from here on out.

(Photo: “Do I have something in my teeth?” Michael Rooker plays a mutated beastie in the horror comedy “Slither.”)

1. Halloween Sleepers – ‘Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
  2. Halloween Sleepers – ‘The Descent’
  3. Halloween Sleepers – ‘Tourist Trap’
  4. ‘Mother of Tears’ – A bloody mess
  5. ‘Rogue’ – Too smart for its own good

blackhawk12151No Gravatar October 28, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I liked this one too. Nathan Fillion was absolutely perfect for the role and I would love to see him in more leading man roles. And I think the word “beguiling” is the best description I’ve heard for Elizabeth Banks.

For a horror movie to work for me it has to go one of two ways:

1. It has to be super serious to the point were I cannot find anything to laugh about. I think films like The Exorcist and The Changeling accomplish this as well as any I’ve seen.

2. It has to be goofy and self-deprecating in a way that enhances it’s quality, not diminishes it. Even though they are TV, this is the reason why I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel to this day.

MMGodfreyNo Gravatar October 28, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I’m glad you mentioned “Tremors.” That was a terrific movie: funny, scary, clever, excellent well-rounded characters and no excessive gore, even a nice romance subplot. Just entertaining as hell. “Slither,” although not in the same class, was a fun flick, too.

I agree with blackhawk. Give me an “Exorcist,” “Halloween,” or “Aliens” for serious, delicious thrills; give me “Tremors” or “Fright Night” for some fun to go along with the chills.

cftotoNo Gravatar October 28, 2008 at 5:11 pm

It’s all in the tone, the approach, and getting it right is very tricky to do.

I’m a dude … but why the heck isn’t Fillion a bigger star at this point? He was also excellent in “Waitress.”

blackhawk12151No Gravatar October 28, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Dirty Harry aka John Nolte has said that horror movies represent the ultimate in achievement. For a horror movie to work a lot has to come together and most of it falls ultimately on the director.

When horror movies don’t work (99% of the time) they become just another throwaway bargain bin film (I’m looking at you, every Japanese Horror Remake) but when they do work they can be one of the best cinematic experiences you will have.

RegsNo Gravatar October 28, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Nate Fillion is the man. Enough said. Well almost enough said. I started watching that ill fated show Drive before it was cancelled just because of him. Heck I even got my wife to watch all of Firefly and you’ll have to trust me, it’s no easy task to convince her to willingly watch science fiction.

My only real complaint about the very fun Slither is that Jenna Fischer gets killed off without enough screen time. Dang it.

Hey did you guys catch Fillion in Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog as the jerk superhero Captain Hammer? Nate was singing, dancing, and it was simply a riot.

Tink in CaliNo Gravatar October 28, 2008 at 7:29 pm

I love Tremors and Fright Night! Maybe I will give Slither a try also. Nice picture of Rooker, by the way.

JudithNo Gravatar October 29, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Add me to the Nathan Fillion fan list. I enjoyed Slither and went to see it just for Mr. Fillion. I was surprised to find it funny – and it *was* funny. My guess is there’s a fairly large audience of people like me out there who generally eschew horror and had no idea there was such a think as horror/comedy (I did see Tremors and liked it). But, I’m thinking there are other people (probably women) like me who just didn’t know this was a movie they could enjoy.

BTW, here’s a link to a trailer for an upcoming series Fillion will be starring in – Castle, a crime novelist who gets involved in real cases. Looks like a not terribly strong Moonlighting, but I will give it a try for the sake of Captain Tightpants.

cftotoNo Gravatar October 29, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Thanks for the link. Fillion has a small, but rabid following, I think, although I’m guessing it’s mostly women who adore him. I admire his talent … I’m secure enough to admit that!

MMGodfreyNo Gravatar November 3, 2008 at 3:27 am

Thanks for another excellent recommendation with “The Descent.” Watched it last night. I had assumed it was a lame hot-girls-go-camping-and-get-sliced-up-by-weirdos flick, but it was a very strong movie. A hot-smart-tough-interesting-women-go-caving-and-get-into-harrowing-situations-even-before-the monsters-show-up flick.

Smartly done, well-rounded characters, and a surprisingly potent story. And I can’t believe it wasn’t all shot in a cave.

I’ll keep coming back here for DVD recommendations.