Kate Beckinsale – A beauty shares an ugly thought

Kate Beckinsale – A beauty shares an ugly thought

Add Kate Beckinsale to the list of Hollywood liberals with zero tolerance for opposing views.

Here’s Miss Kate prattling on to Entertainment Weekly about watching the news during the recent election cycle:

“And I was so shocked to see people admitting to being Republican on their front lawn!”

Stay classy, Kate.

And you wonder why Hollywood has run out of true movie stars … why would the public embrace an actress who gleefully insults half her audience?

That’s more than a smart move to keep his audience at full strength. It shows a respect for others’ opinions.

Some of his peers should take that lesson to heart.

ALSO CHECK OUT:

What Russell Brand thinks is funny

Shirley MacLaine unplugged

Wallace Shawn lets loose

1. How ugly will it get?
  2. Critics’ creative ignorance on ‘Milk’

KNo Gravatar December 14, 2008 at 12:26 am

Some years back Sigourney Weaver commented on an entertainment show about her part in the movie “Working Girl”. The character she played was grasping, dishonest, arrogant and unjust, which Sigourney called “very Republican”. I stopped following her after that. I don’t know if it was coincidental, but her career took a downward turn soon after.

cftotoNo Gravatar December 14, 2008 at 1:02 am

It’s exhausting, isn’t it? I’d cut actors some slack if they were very young/inexperienced … but veterans like Weaver and Beckinsale should know better.

opusNo Gravatar December 14, 2008 at 3:38 am

It’s like that Pauline Kael quote when Nixon beat McGovern, “Nixon can’t have won; no one I know voted for him.”
She, like most people in show business live in their own bubble, surrounding and associating themselves only with people who share their opinions. Beckinsale probably thinks the majority of the people think like she does, I’ve no doubt everyone surrounding her thinks as she does.

el gordoNo Gravatar December 14, 2008 at 11:54 am

Like Beckinsale, many in the liberal herd are British or Canadian. I´m just saying.

As for Will Smith, he did say that 9/11 was not a big deal for blacks in America – but he only said it in Germany. So yes, he is smart in that way.

cftotoNo Gravatar December 14, 2008 at 5:06 pm

It’s one thing to be isolated in one’s opinions — but to be so dismissive is downright ugly.

El Gordo — the actors from England and Canada think in lockstep, politically, to their U.S. brethren. But good point all the same!

opusNo Gravatar December 14, 2008 at 11:55 pm

cftoto
She hasn’t a clue that what she said crossed any type of line.
Beckinsales’s remark is a good example of how the left views conservatives. They view us as evil, so for her, I imagine proudly proclaiming to be republican would be the same as someone proudly proclaiming they’re a nazi and who thinks twice about saying something bad about nazis?

cftotoNo Gravatar December 15, 2008 at 5:32 pm

That may be true, but I won’t give her a pass for saying that all the same.

Edward LunnyNo Gravatar December 15, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Just goes to show, beauty is only skin deep, but ,ignorance goes to the bone.

Jim LakelyNo Gravatar December 15, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Why do so many actors and singers feel the need to go out of their way to alienate so much of the audience. You guys won, Kate. Be gracious — or at least smart — and enjoy your “New Day” with grace.

Sigh … The irony, of course, is that conservatives who enjoy popular culture have learned to be … er … tolerant of those who entertain them. They hold their nose, compartmentalize the distasteful politics (and even the insults) to the point where even Sean Penn gets accolades from right-leaning reviewers about his performance in “Milk.” The other side of the general population is unwilling to make such an effort. And those who produce and perform in the entertainment either create art that misrepresents and insults a conservative point of view, or make it a hobby to rip it in their spare time. It’s a shame.

cftotoNo Gravatar December 15, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Much of the genuine tolerance, oddly enough, comes from the right, not the left, Jim. The far right and the far left are different stories, of course, with their own rigid intolerances.

As a movie lover I compartmentalize my thoughts on a near daily basis, clinging to my passion for film while swallowing hard while my favorite actors (cough cough, John Cusack) go out of their way to call people with my views vile names)

opusNo Gravatar December 15, 2008 at 11:25 pm

cftoto

I wasn’t giving her a pass, merely pointing out her likely mindest.
In regards to tolerance I think the left viewing us as evil pretty much explains their lack of tolerance.

cftotoNo Gravatar December 15, 2008 at 11:27 pm

I know, Opus … that mindset just drives me nuts! A child should be more aware than Beckinsale …

HeidiNo Gravatar December 16, 2008 at 12:32 am

Oh Kate… and you’ve been admitting to being an actress for years – right up on screen, in front of EVERYONE! I didn’t know anyone actually admitted to being an actress, especially after films like “Van Helsing” and those “Underworld” flicks.

cftotoNo Gravatar December 16, 2008 at 12:39 am

Ha! Great response, Heidi … wish I thought of it

David123456No Gravatar December 16, 2008 at 5:39 pm

>>>And I was so shocked to see people admitting to being Republican on their front lawn!

Hey Kate. We aren’t approval-starved Liberals, that’s why. Thus we have no problem “admitting” to any of our principled beliefs. It’s very liberating. You should try it.

Traffic Cop TimmyNo Gravatar December 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm

“Consider Will Smith, The Only Movie Star Left. He spoke openly about supporting President-elect Barack Obama. But to my knowledge he never insulted those who didn’t pull the lever for the senator.”

No, he just went on and on about how embarrased he was to be an American while travelling abroad because of Bush. You don’t have to be a genius to connect the dots. Between that and his “open marriage,” (aka have my cake and eat it too) I am done with him.

joeNo Gravatar April 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm

“Sadly another actor whom I enjoy who I’ll never be able to enjoy as much ever again.”

Oh God, so you choose which actors to enjoy based on politics? What kind stupid idea is that. You choose actors who do good work. Most, like Beckinsale, have done both good work and bad. Example! Russell Crowe is a jerk. But I love him films and him as an actor, because he’s a great actor and I don’t have to hang out with the bastard. All I care about is do I get my money’s worth.

You conservatives are too uptight. You don’t know Kate Beckinsale. You’ll never meet her. So stop making decisions based on politics. Politicians are useless lot anyway.

joeNo Gravatar April 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Oh, and for what it’s worth, after 8 years of Bush and the Republican party aligning itself with religious and right-wing nutbags like Rush Limbaugh, Pat Robertson, and Ann Coulter, they have done more to damage their standing and credibility than anyone. I say that as an independent who has voted for as many Republicans as Democrats.

cftotoNo Gravatar April 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Joe, I understand your point. But consider these two arguments.

* It isn’t the fact that Beckinsale is liberal. I don’t care how she leans … it’s the disdain she has for those who don’t see her point of view. That’s far different – and uglier.

* Conservatives are belittled by Hollywood constantly … and after a while it does take its toll. Take one ignorant comment and it’s easy to ignore. But when it comes at you so frequently it can be abrasive.

joeNo Gravatar March 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

“It isn’t the fact that Beckinsale is liberal. I don’t care how she leans … it’s the disdain she has for those who don’t see her point of view.”

So you know this based on one simple quote? Again, have you ever met her or had a conversation with her?

“Conservatives are belittled by Hollywood constantly”

Honestly, who cares! Why is the right so up in arms over what a bunch of actors say?

cftotoNo Gravatar March 2, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Joe,

How else would you interpret her quote?

Or, perhaps, this quote:

And you know what … I care. I don’t like to be demeaned without having done anything. And I don’t like people who categories those who disagree with them in such a coarse fashion.

And consider this – what if your beliefs and values were repeatedly mocked by mainstream movies and TV shows? Wouldn’t it wear you down just a bit?

MrGJGNo Gravatar March 6, 2012 at 10:46 pm

“You conservatives are too uptight. You don’t know Kate Beckinsale. You’ll never meet her. So stop making decisions based on politics. Politicians are useless lot anyway”.

When people seemingly go out of their way to insult me for no other reason than for having a different point of view, I will no longer support them.
I’m funny that way.

CatoNo Gravatar May 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Considering most stars in Hollywood (the quotable ones) comprised the dreaded 1%, it’s fun to listen to them rail against ‘the rich’ in the 3rd person.

Somewhat akin to the Pope coming out on the balcony and talking about all those ‘damn Catholics’.

I would imagine most of it is guilt, the idea that you’ve made several times what ordinary (even republican) people make for a few minutes of make-believe. But then again, the biggest lies are the ones you tell yourself.