Oh, no … not Martin Scorsese!

Oh, no … not Martin Scorsese!

Hollywood’s penchant for moral relativism can be tough to swallow, especially for an unabashed movie lover.

As much as I adore Woody Allen’s best films, I’m aghast at how he segued from dating Mia Farrow to stepping out with her step-daughter, Soon Yi. It never stopped actors from signing up to star in Allen’s films, and even taking a pay cut for the honor.

So when some Hollywood heavy hitters signed a petition demanding the release of director Roman Polanski, I knew what to expect. I also guessed a few of the names on said list. (hat tip: Ed Driscoll)

Woody Allen. Jonathan Demme. Harvey Weinstein.

But Martin Scorsese?

Didn’t see that coming. Sad.

1. Nothing funny about Martin’s denial
  2. Scorsese goes for the jugular
  3. Should Polanski be brought to justice?
  4. And the best animated flick is …
  5. No more Doris Days in Hollywood

blackhawk12151No Gravatar September 29, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I think there is some kind of collective victim solidarity going on here. He’s an artist, they’re artists, and artists love to feel like victims. As if the police are roaming around exploiting every opportunity to persecute.

Or maybe its some kind of Nietzschian “Super-Man” type mentality. “We are more evolved than most people because of our genius, and shouldn’t be subject to the laws of common people.”

I don’t get it

cftotoNo Gravatar September 29, 2009 at 8:42 pm

One think to consider … so many actors say they cannot judge the characters they portray. It’s a technique to allow them to play roles with as many shades as possible. It makes for great acting, but I fear actors may take the lack of judgmentalism (is that a word?) too far.

JimmyCNo Gravatar September 29, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Yes, Christian, judgmentalism is a word. Except in Hollywood. Zing!

cftotoNo Gravatar September 29, 2009 at 9:55 pm

JimmyC will be here all week folks … don’t forget to tip your waiters!

GrofeNo Gravatar September 30, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I’m sorry to be be so vulgar, but maybe Woody Allen, Jonathan Demme and Harvey Weinstein would agree to be drugged and ass raped as a condition for signing the petition. Or better yet, maybe one of these hypocrites would offer their young daughter to Roman as a gesture of solidarity.

Man, I just don’t get it…

cftotoNo Gravatar September 30, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Even the comments section of the Huffington Post is solidly against Polanski.

Vulgar, Grofe … but oddly appropriate given the subject matter.

PaulaNo Gravatar September 30, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I’m wondering if Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Huston will sign the petition.

cftotoNo Gravatar September 30, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Paula — Jack has “people” to sign unsavory petitions for him.

Cee ArrNo Gravatar October 1, 2009 at 12:21 am

I haven’t read the list, but I’ll have to print oneso I can remember twho to boycott. I’ like to ALS add … not Monica Belucci.

This relativism disgusts me, I guess if Elia Kazan had done the same thing after naming names for HUAC he might have been forgiven.

I’m glad to see that Kirstie Alley is disgusted as well, she had an awesome tweet today. Jewel is as well, she had a nice tweet as well.

Luc Besson refused to sign the petition. I’ve always enjoyed his movies (except the Fifth Element), now I’ll enjoy them even more.

EricPNo Gravatar October 2, 2009 at 6:07 am

Dang, almost forgot Marty was in that piece of shite whine-fest Guilty by Suspicion (which I fell for hook, line and the weighty sinker during my college years). Que sera sera. Helluva ride we had together, Mr. Scorsese, but thanks to your pen to the support-Polanski paper, I do believe our ride is over … or “Ovah, Karen, ovah,” as Henry Hill might have said.

HeidiNo Gravatar October 3, 2009 at 6:11 pm

It just goes to show, once again, how far outside of reality these Holleywoods people live.

In Colorado we have a saying, “Boulder is ten square miles surrounded by reality.”

A similar line could be said about Hollywood.

When you only ever surround yourself with people who think like you do… well, I pity you.

Cee ArrNo Gravatar October 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

John Landis too… man! I always figured he was kind of freaky, anti-traditionalist.

At least we’ve got Luc Besson. I’ve always liked him, but even more so for refusing to sign the petition. Kevin Smith, Kirstie Alley, and Jewl are on the right side of this as well.

cftotoNo Gravatar October 5, 2009 at 1:53 pm

John Landis AND Ethan Coen. That last one really, really hurts.

unbuttoned 10No Gravatar March 21, 2010 at 3:30 am

—Beyond obsesssion and obsessiveness
beyond the neighborhood bullshit and bedroom idolaties
—what exactly IS Scorsese’s vision supposed