The delusions of James Cameron

The delusions of James Cameron

["Avatar"] reflects that we are living through war … there are boots on the ground, troops who I personally believe were sent there under false pretenses, so I hope this will be part of opening our eyes.”

So says “Avatar” director James Cameron about his blockbuster film to TheWrap.com.

The interview comes, in part, as a response to “right wing” critics who blasted the film’s political messages.

Let’s just say thank goodness Cameron is here to inform us the current wars are being fought under “false pretenses.” That’s a message that has yet to come out in public until now.

No film director, op-ed writer, politician or pundit has let us know about this. That’s why we need Cameron to make movies like “Avatar” to show us the light.

If Cameron had some guts, he’d do a live Q&A with one of his critics, like Big Hollywood’s John Nolte. Instead, he’ll chat up journalists who more or less share his world view and won’t get challenged.

Cameron is a populist filmmaker of the first order. But his ability to insert political messages into his films is anything but first rate – no matter if you agree with his POV or not.

1. Thanks a lot, James Cameron!
  2. Cameron’s male/female quandry
  3. Hindus warn Cameron on ‘Avatar’
  4. Cameron vs. Tolkien – A tale of two storytellers
  5. Do we still need James Bond?

PaulM72No Gravatar January 14, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Not to mention the fact that the movie was mediocre……fascinates me that people who profess to love the movie all say the story was so-so. Are you kidding me? So a movie is great when the story and acting is “so-so”….that right there is a sign of the apocalypse.

cftotoNo Gravatar January 15, 2010 at 3:00 am

GREAT point, Paul … as if ’story’ is a mere afterthought.

Hey, the dialogue stunk, too. But let’s give it a few Oscars.

DagnabbittNo Gravatar January 15, 2010 at 11:57 pm

The interviewer SHOULD have pressed him on that soundbite, but alas – journalism (sic) is not what it should be these days.

As for his remark about “Avatar” as a prism to view contemporary conflicts, I already posted on that misstep.

Get back behind the camera, Son.

D.

debbie 1960No Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 4:09 am

“And, apparently, his sense of his own self importance may be as large as the fictional planet of Pandora.”
Won’t be seeing the movie so I have no idea how big Pandora is but Live the line. I also enjoy your posts on Big Hollywood. First time here.

johnNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 6:28 am

The story is also the usual rip off of Romeo and Juliet where the lovers are conflicted by the pull of their own tribes.

Of course, in James Cameron’s world, the white guy’s tribe is clearly the inferior evil one that is OK for eco-terrrorism.

Tthat’s a wrap….

JerryNo Gravatar January 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I think it’s truly a pity that the first major 3D film was “Amateurish Avatar.”

I’ll give credit where it’s due, the sceneries and the planet in general are fascinating. But that’s where the goodies end. I was SO disappointed in this film. I mean, after hearing from friends and family (the younger ones in general) about how “Great” this film is, I just had to see for myself. What a heap of crap! Typical Hollywood B.S. where the leftist agenda is so so obvious.

C’mon! He spent so much money for this???

Ridiculous. Simply Ridiculous