Cameron hearts ecoterrorism

Cameron hearts ecoterrorism

James Cameron, king of the box office once more, is speaking out against critics of his film “Avatar.”

It’s clear the director really should stay quiet.

The man behind “Aliens,” “Titanic” and now the blue-skinned creatures inhabiting his latest hit, tells Entertainment Weekly that he digs ecoterrorism. (WWTW note: cannont find link to this at ew.com … will keep looking. The issue in question hit my mailbox today. Interview appears on page 35)

And no, that’s not taken out of context.

EW asked Cameron to respond to some of the criticisms aimed at “Avatar.” Check out how he responded to this one:

EW: “Avatar” is the perfect eco-terrorism recruiting tool.”

JC: Good, good. I like that one. I consider that a positive review. I believe in ecoterrorism.”

Is he joking (there’s no – laughs – insert included in the text)?

Would he like it if someone bombed a McDonald’s selling some of his “Avatar” goodies? Surely they’re clogging the planet’s ecosystem, right?Heck, some have accused the burger chain of treating its food source inhumanely, too.

Is a blue-skinned Na’vi toy biodegradable?

What if someone dies during an ecoterrorist attack? Or if people lose their jobs because of it?

Not all acts of eco-terrorism are created equal. Some are enhanced forms of civil disobedience. But surely someone as smart as Cameron knows not to endorse such tactics without a significant disclaimer.

So where is the follow up question? And has success turned Cameron’s mind to mush?

1. The delusions of James Cameron
  2. Hindus warn Cameron on ‘Avatar’
  3. Cameron’s male/female quandry
  4. Cameron vs. Tolkien – A tale of two storytellers
  5. Thanks a lot, James Cameron!

{ 1 trackback }

Eco-Terror « LIBERTY VIEW
September 2, 2010 at 11:50 pm

CharlesNo Gravatar January 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I really never truly believed him to be left wing whack leftist extremist. But know, I guess it is so. Good lord!

Bosch FawstinNo Gravatar January 16, 2010 at 9:33 pm

My only question is : How MUCH does he believe in eco-terrorism?’

MadrasNo Gravatar January 16, 2010 at 11:41 pm

What a surprise!

Yet another Hollywood elitist is a raving libunatic!

PaulaNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 3:16 am

Heaven forbid one of those Avatar fans who’s depressed that Pandora doesn’t exist is inspired to become an eco-terrorist because of Cameron’s stupid statement.

C L CarlNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 3:44 am

To be a terrorist means you are in favor of hurting innocent people. Period. it doesn’t matter what the cause is. He might as well have said, “I’m a member of Al-Qaeda” or “I’m a nazi”. It’s all the same–and it’s all evil. May he get a taste of what he’s advocating.

SpideyTerryNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 3:59 am

“And no, that’s not taken out of context.”

Oh, if any criticism starts to really pile up, I’m sure we’ll here Cameron say ad-nauseum “Out of context!”

“And has success turned Cameron’s mind to mush?”

Was there ever a mind to start with? Based on his latest comment, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say no.

KNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 7:45 am

“Terrorism” doesn’t necessarily have to hurt people. Say, just for example, that someone who was really really tired of leftist tripe being rammed down the country’s throat as well as spoiled arrogant directors who thought the audience must get the benefit, want it or not, of their deep political opinions. Let’s also say this person happened to work in one of those CGI houses that did the computer SFX for a movie like say, “Avatar 2″. Lets also say that they waited till a critical point in the production and blew the computer hard drives and backup systems, thereby costing the production 50 to 100 million bucks and a year in schedule.

Certainly such an act would be considered “terrorism” by Mr. Cameron and most of the Hollywood folks, wouldn’t you say?

RoganNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 11:59 am

So, if some eco-terrorists burn down one or all of Cameron’s lovely, sprawling, palatial homes he will, of course, forgive them….right? Perhaps he’ll even beat them to it and torch them himself. Right.

MatthewNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 6:16 pm

“And no, that’s not taken out of context.”

Why do you state that, when you could have just included several lines of preceding text?

We have to take you at your word on this, because you’ve snipped and cut two lines out from their context. You could have included the context, but you chose just two lines, and you chose them carefully, consciously, and deliberately.

And considering the list of related posts:

* The delusions of James Cameron
* Hindus warn Cameron on ‘Avatar’
* Cameron’s male/female quandry
* Thanks a lot, James Cameron!
* Will ‘Avatar’ put Cameron back on top?

one can only infer that you’re a complete loon obsessed with James Cameron, and hardly someone we can rely on to tell the truth when you say, “And no, that’s not taken out of context.”

cftotoNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Matthew,

Welcome to WWTW.

1. Thanks for calling me a loon. Really moves the conversation forwad.

2. I put “Avatar” on my Top 10 of 2009 list.

3. Any film blogger who doesn’t write about Cameron is not doing his/her job, so the fact that I’ve covered him repeatedly in recent months means I’m simply reporting on a major player in the industry.

4. As I said in my post, I tried to find the link to the story, but after coming up empty (it may be out there, I just couldn’t find it after searching for 10 min.) I told my readers what page they could find the interview on.

5. Please let me know of the context in the interview that reverses what appears to be his support of ecoterrorism. If so I’ll quickly submit an apology. As it is, I mention that it’s possible he could be joking, but often articles will insert something to let readers know that that’s the case. The lines preceding the query are on a different topic and don’t relate to ecoterrorism.

6. Hope you come back early and often to this site.

MatthewNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. That’s not sarcasm. But, considering how those two lines are burning up the right-wing blogosphere, do you think you could type up the preceding three or four lines?

shadyalNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm

let’s see, a totally self absorbed super rich individual making commentary about issues that affects who knows how many common folk.

from Hollywood….imagine that!

DanteNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I wonder how much energy that hypocrites house uses?

PaulM72No Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Funny how it’s the “right wing blogosphere” that’s blowing up while the left-wing blogosphere are polishing Cameron’s hypocritical knob. Hope they are proud of themselves to be such fools.

Got to love the plastic Na’vi toys reference….real eco friendly there James. How about all the gas your limos/SUV’s/private jets waste? Man…it’s sad how complete morons can gain millions off the backs of more morons (and yes, you’re a moron if you thought Avatar was a great movie…complete and utter moron).

TKochNo Gravatar January 17, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I wonder what the carbon footprint of this movie was…….

NBNo Gravatar January 19, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Can you at least post a scan of the EW page?

A Modest ProposalNo Gravatar January 20, 2010 at 2:41 am

Okaaayyy… while it can’t be ruled out that Cameron supports ecoterrorism, what hasn’t been mentioned is the far more likely idea of responding to an absurd charge with an absurd answer.

Avatar does represent an obvious challenge to exploitation-driven imperialism, and good for Cameron in successfully getting this important (if heavy-handed in the execution) message to resonate in mainstream America. Only a slavering corporatist tool could be so offended by such a challenge to the corruption underlying our traditional economic methods that he’d go so far as to declare this movie a recruitment tool for ecoterrorism.

As a sometime environmental activist, I hear all the time from the uninformed and propagandized that my REAL motives are to confiscate all the guns, destroy capitalism, & set up sodomy camps so that Jesus will cry. So, sometimes I agree with them, just to set them off. I think it’s far more likely that’s what Cameron’s doing here, and that you may have taken the wingnut bait.

Consider it over your morning coffee and baby bacon.

EWTHeckmanNo Gravatar January 20, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I scanned the issue’s cover and the page where the quote appears and put them together here. Note that I deliberately blurred the rest of the text to avoid infringing on EW’s copyright.

These two columns are “some of the best and worst things” said about Avatar. The portions in blue are what was written, and the portions in black are Cameron’s responses. Note that Cameron’s ecoterrorism quote is the complete statement given from the review and Cameron’s complete response given for that statement. The previous quote and response is about Popular Science’s review pointing out the irony of Cameron using cutting edge technology to push a Luddite belief system. The quote after it is about someone who got pissed off about the message of the movie. Interestingly enough, it does start with “JC: [Laughing]“, which is notably absent from the quote in question.

Finally, the facing page has the following pull quote on it:

“It’s not an Oliver Stone-style bludgeon-you-over-the-head political film, but it does have a political subtext. I am a tree hugger.”
—James Cameron

Sam18No Gravatar December 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Lol, yeah James Cameron. You create a stupid movie (which was just a remake of Disney’s Pocahontas) to promote anti-corporate. And you let your movie get produced by News Corporation – the same company that owns Fox News.

This why liberal wack-tivists like Cameron can’t be taken seriously – kind of like the OWS protestors who want to “stomp out capitalism” but rely on corporate-owned websites like Twitter and Youtube to “spread their revolution”.