Not all actors read a line the same way.
There’s a big difference between Keanu Reeves’ emoting and, say, Dustin Hoffman’s way with words.
But then there are other actors who make reading a simple line of script an adventure. We all know who they are, and even when they appear in absolute dreck it’s grand fun waiting for them to spit out the next syllable.
So let’s toast five actors who bring something novel to the big screen with every choice phrase.
- Christopher Walken: The King, no question asked. You can go grab popcorn and a soda between some of his pregnant pauses. At this point, he’s a caricature of himself, but that only makes it better.
- Jeff Goldblum: The actor makes a welcome screen appearance in “The Switch,” but we’ve seen far too little of the mercurial Goldblum in recent years. Consider his wacky line readings in “Jurassic Park” the Red Bull that keeps you awake between dinosaur kills.
- William Shatner: Yes, he’s more of a TV actor now … and then. But for a while his big screen”Star Trek” work gave us the chance … to hear … him in … action. Priceless.
- Jack Nicholson: No one reads a line like Jack. Period. After he’s done with it, it isn’t worth trying to improve upon.
- Readers’ Choice: Who is missing from this list?